Monthly Archives: April 2013
Thank you for registering for the Hy-Vee Half & 5k for JDRF! We hope you are just as excited for the big day as we are – which is only a few days away. Please take a few minutes to read through some important race day information:
- Start Locations: Thank you to the runner who caught a typo on our website (www.fdhyveehalf.wordpress.com). The half marathon will be starting at St. Edmond’s School: 2321 6th Ave N Fort Dodge, IA 50501 (NOT HY-VEE!). The start line will be located at the back side (east side) of the school on Martin Luther King Drive. St. Edmond’s has graciously opened their doors to runners needing to use the restroom as well as (but let’s hope not) provide shelter from weather while waiting for the start of the race.
- Chip Timing: This year, we are thankful to be able to provide a chip timing system! The chips are a Velcro anklet and will not be included in your race packet – instead you will need to pick them up at our information booth the morning of the race at your race’s start area. Please plan to arrive early! Half marathon chips will be at the half marathon start line – St Edmond’s. 5k chips will be at the 5k start line – Kennedy Park. Chip times MUST be returned upon crossing the finish line, and those who fail to do so will be charged a $30 fee.
- Course Safety and race etiquette: Please line up at the start line appropriately. Faster runners in the front, (Amber’s fellow) slower runners and walkers towards the back.
- Half marathon’ers: As a reminder, this is an open course. The route will be similar to last year’s event with a different start location – St Edmond’s School at the Martin Luther King Drive and 6th Ave North intersection (or there about). It will be an open course, consisting of road with concrete and asphalt surfaces, cement trail, gravel, and some grass. Road portions of the course will not be fully blocked off, so please be cautious of traffic. Please see attachment for route map and become familiar with it, which also includes porta-pots and water/PowerAde locations. Please also help keep our city clean and be kind to our volunteers by being mindful about where you throw your cups. Thank you
- 5k’ers: The route will be nearly identical to last year’s race. The 5K will take place on the Kennedy Park trail system and park grounds. Runners may encounter paved trail, rock, mulch, grass, bridges, mud and sand. See attachment for approximate race route.
- Packet pickup: Saturday, April 20 at the Fort Dodge Hy-Vee (115 S 29th Street) from noon to 7. As a reminder, you will still need to arrive early to your race to pick up your timing chip. If you are unable to make it to packet pickup on Saturday, reply back to this email ASAP and we will work something out.
- Security: In response to the tragedy at the Boston Marathon, we are working diligently with our local law enforcement to ensure a safe, fun event. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of those involved both directly and indirectly with this heartbreaking event.
- Emergency: Should there be an emergency, call 9-1-1. We have medics, fire, police, etc. on site for help, but the quickest way to get them to an emergency is via 911.
- Weather: With the sketchy forecast currently predicted for Sunday, please dress accordingly. Should there be lightning, event start times must be post-poned 30 minutes without another lightning strike. The events will only be canceled if there is continuous lightning or the race routes are deemed ‘unsafe’ thanks to rain making the route into a muddy mess.
- Shuttle: There will be a shuttle service available to anyone wishing to ride (runners, family, etc.), provided by Dart/Midas, for half marathoner’s transporting you from the finish line (Kennedy Park) to the start line (St Edmond’s). Please have $1 ready when getting on. The shuttle schedule will leave from Kennedy park at the bellow times, getting you to the start line in approximately 15 minutes, and then return to Kennedy for another load of people.
- 7:15a (arrive at start line at approximately 7:30a)
- 7:45a (arrive at start line at approximately 8:00a)
- 8:15a (arrive at start line at approximately 8:30a)
- Awards: This year, we will be giving out $500 worth of awards to top runners! An informal award ceremony will take place at 11:30 near the finish line. Awards up for grabs include:
- $25 Hy-Vee Gift Card to the overall 5k male
- $25 Hy-Vee Gift Card to the overall 5k female
- $50 Hy-Vee Gift Card to the overall half marathon male
- $50 Hy-Vee Gift Card to the overall half marathon female
- $25 Hy-Vee Gift Card to the each half marathon male and female age division winner
- <18 years old
- 19-29 years old
- 30-39 years old
- 40-49 years old
- 50-59 years old
- 60-69 years old
- >70 years old
Thank you all, again, so much for taking part in our second annual Hy-Vee Half & 5k for JDRF. Have fun, be safe, and enjoy! Please let us know if you have any questions, comments or concerns! See you all soon!!